The dresser pictured below was a purchase I made in college- second hand of course. It's an older style from Ikea, and I happen to have three pieces that match- the one pictured, a chest with 6 drawers, and a short style with only 3 drawers. I have certainly got my money out of this dresser, but recently I have been wanting a change.
At first I thought I would just buy a new dresser, but months of looking at the Salvation Army and other local resale shops plus trolling craigslist turned up nothing that I liked well enough to schlep back to my house.
I recently started a new job, but had a week vacation between jobs, and decided this was the perfect time to tackle my dresser and give it a new look. I decided I would paint it and change the knobs, and then while in the process had the great idea to also change the feet.
I always love the colors that other people pick for the furniture but tend to be a little more conservative when it comes to my pieces, and this time I really wanted to be bold. I decided an orange color would be great and went for it. The color I picked is a Martha Stewart color, but it was mixed in Behr paint because I only wanted a quart and Home Depot didn't have quarts of Martha Stewart paint. I also went out of my comfort zone and picked high gloss paint.
I didn't take lots of progress pics because I didn't do anything special- just did a light sanding, a coat of adhesion primer (this is veneered Ikea furniture after all) and then two coats of the color.
After looking at all kinds of different knobs, I decided to go with this pendant knob that I found at Target.
I also mentioned that I switched the feet on the dresser. I wanted something more dramatic than what was there already, and I found these bun feet that I really liked at Home Depot. They were $8.84 each, so about $36 total for the four.
The final product looks awesome in my opinion, and fits in my bedroom nicely.